Artificial intelligence technologies are actively used to solve many difficult problems. One of them is programming. A number of AI platforms today successfully perform the duties of virtual assistants for developers. In this article, you will learn about the capabilities of modern code generators and get an overview of the 5 most popular services of this type.
What can AI Code Generators do?
AI code generation tools are based on special AI models that were trained using extensive repositories with millions of lines of code. These platforms perform two main functions:
- Generating code from scratch based on text or voice requests from users.
- Complementing code written by programmers.
Some services can only check the code for errors and suggest ways to eliminate them (code review). Their functionality does not allow you to create or supplement code. The most popular are universal systems that can be used for both generating and checking code. Another advantage of AI generators is their convenient, intuitive interface. Users just need to send a text request describing the piece of code they need to immediately receive the finished code in the dialog box. Other useful features include code translation between different programming languages.
AI tools for code generation improve developer productivity by helping them write more code in less time. With their help, you can automate routine processes, freeing up time for more complex and important tasks. Neural networks generate universal, highly functional code that is easy to read, easy to maintain, and adapted to modern standards. And the simplicity and convenience of the interface allow programmers with any skill level to use them.
Amazon's CodeWhisperer service is considered one of the best AI code generators. It quickly and accurately generates code sentences in real time, from snippets to full functions. You can work with it through the integrated development environment (IDE) or the command line. It also supports translation from natural language to bash.
- CodeWhisperer tags and filters code similar to open-source training data. Users gain access to licenses and project repositories.
- The program ensures code security by scanning it for vulnerabilities. It also provides best practices for resolving them that meet OWASP community security criteria.
- Users can choose the IDE that is most convenient for them from a range of supported options: VS Code, IntelliJ IDEA, AWS Cloud9, AWS Lambda Console, JupyterLab and Amazon SageMaker Studio.
- Ability to use different command lines: macOS Terminal, iTerm2 and the built-in VS Code terminal.
- Customization can help improve the quality of the code Amazon CodeWhisperer produces. Give the platform access to libraries, methods, packages, courses, and APIs. This will accelerate the operation of the neural network and make its recommendations more relevant.
Individual developers can use this AI coding tool for free. To achieve this, they need to register for the system via email or an AWS Builder account. The free plan supports unlimited code suggestions, vulnerability scanning (up to 50 per month for 1 user), and reference tracking. Companies and organizations are offered paid access to Amazon CodeWhisperer's advanced capabilities. Its price starts at $19 per month per user.
Tabnine from the developer company Codota is considered one of the best free AI Python code generators with open-source code. The system is based on machine learning algorithms. They analyze user requests, offering them optimal line endings and large code fragments. The service has proven itself to be a useful tool for developers, accelerating the process of writing code and improving its cleanliness. It is used by employees of tech corporations like Google and Facebook.
- The platform offers automatic code completion, syntax highlighting, auto-generation of tests and a number of other functions.
- Integration with several code editors (VS Code, Sublime Text, Atom and others) allows you to easily adapt it to various development environments.
- Provides support for code refactoring, simplifying and accelerating the programming process.
- The built-in automatic documentation feature makes the code more understandable for other developers.
- Tabnine's deep learning algorithms allow it to generate accurate and relevant code suggestions.
- The main disadvantage of one of the best code generators is its resource intensity. It requires large amounts of RAM to operate. This nuance increases the requirements for equipment.
Individual developers can take advantage of the free Basic Starter plan. For businesses, there is a paid Pro plan with advanced features (for example, code completion based on plain text queries). It costs $12 per month per user (up to 100 people can be connected to one account). Large businesses can benefit from the Enterprise plan, which supports an unlimited number of users. Its cost is calculated upon request.
The GitHub Copilot program is no less famous among AI tools for developers. It is rightfully considered one of the most sought-after coding assistants. This service was created jointly by OpenAI and GitHub, based on the OpenAI Codex AI model. It trained on extensive code repositories and text arrays. The neural network quickly processes text requests, automatically completing lines and entire code fragments. It significantly improves developer productivity and the quality of their product.
- Copilot can augment and generate code from scratch, as well as comment, debug, and find vulnerabilities.
- The service’s AI algorithms independently learn and adapt to different coding styles, providing users with personalized recommendations.
- The platform supports 15 development environments, including Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, Neovim and JetBrains.
- To use this automated code generation tool, you need to register through a GitHub account and install the Visual Studio Code extension.
Copilot is available free of charge to students, teachers and participants in well-known open-source projects. Everyone else is offered two paid versions of the product: GitHub Copilot for Individuals (for personal use) and GitHub Copilot for Business (for commercial use). The subscription price for the individual version is $10 per month, and for the business version, it costs $19 per month per user. A 30-day trial period will help you get acquainted with the capabilities of the platform without paying.
Next in our selection of the best AI code generators is the Cody service, developed by Sourcegraph. This free AI assistant writes, corrects and maintains your code efficiently and quickly. Using Code Graph's context-gathering capabilities, it analyzes the entire code base. This helps it generate and evaluate program code efficiently.
- Cody's functionality goes beyond simple string completion. It automatically checks the code, identifies potential bugs and provides solutions to fix them.
- The key advantage of a neural network is its ability to analyze and understand the context in which a particular piece of code is written. Thanks to this, it offers succinct and relevant recommendations.
- Code reviews generated by AI algorithms highlight areas of code that can be improved. This helps developers quickly and efficiently improve their quality.
- Cody easily integrates with popular code hosts (GitHub, GitLab) and development environments (VS Code, JetBrains). The platform uses extensive open-source repositories and other training data to understand and improve user code.
- AI coding tool offers free extensions for various IDEs, including VS Code, JetBrains and Neovim. In addition, its tools are accessible via a web interface.
Individual developers can take advantage of the full, free version of Cody. It allows you to analyze, enhance and edit public and private code with rate limiting. For businesses, there is a separate Enterprise version with advanced features. It provides advanced context, user management, an audit trail, custom LLM, daily limits, Web/API access, and more. The cost of a paid subscription can be found upon request.
Another worthy participant in the selection of the best AI tools for developers is the Replit GhostWriter platform. Like the systems listed earlier, it is capable of automatically completing code and generating it from scratch. This service can also transform it and comment on it. In addition to standard tools, its functionality contains an interactive space for coding, training, and the collaboration of specialists.
- The platform is integrated with the online code editor Replit. This helps simplify and accelerate the processes of writing, executing and debugging code. All these operations are available through a single interface.
- Real-time code completion makes the programmer's work easier and improves the purity of code.
- Built-in hints make using Replit GhostWriter more convenient and productive for both beginners and experienced professionals.
- The platform uses the latest artificial intelligence in programming technologies. They quickly find bugs in the code and suggest ways to fix them.
- The built-in chatbot generates comments and clarifications, and writes code based on text queries. In addition, it helps to brainstorm solutions to creative problems.
- Thanks to semantic analysis tools, users can quickly find open-source code on the Internet and use it for their own purposes.
- The average time for processing a request and generating a response is 500 ms.
- The voice input function makes the service even more convenient for users.
Replit GhostWriter offers several pricing plans. The Free package has limited functionality. The basic Pro version costs $7 per month. For the professional version Pro with advanced features, you need to pay $20 per month.
The code automation with AI services described in our article have proven themselves well among programmers of various specializations and levels of training. All of them have wide capabilities, in particular automatic completion and code generation from scratch, debugging, commenting and other useful functions. Each of the AI systems supports more than 10 programming languages, as well as various IDEs and terminals. Most top generators offer a free version, either full-fledged or with limited features (speed limit, only for individual users, and so on). As for paid subscriptions, the most budget-friendly options are available from Replit GhostWriter ($7 per month) and GitHub Copilot ($10 per month).
Don't waste another minute manually transferring leads from Facebook to other systems. SaveMyLeads is a simple and effective tool that will allow you to automate this process so that you don't have to spend time on the routine. Try SaveMyLeads features, make sure that this tool will relieve your employees and after 5 minutes of settings your business will start working faster.