In this text we will tell you about the history of the emergence and about the present of the famous American brand Oracle.
Oracle Corporation is an American software and server hardware company. The majority of its products are in business applications, middleware and database management systems (DBMS). The company's key product is the Oracle Database DBMS, which has been produced since 1979 and supports several dozen platforms.
Oracle brand history
Oracle was founded in 1977 by Silicon Valley engineers in Santa Clara, California and was originally called Software Development Laboratories. Before that, they had worked together on a CIA project under the code name Oracle, so they decided to give the same name to their new venture. Soon they released the first version of their database, which they called Oracle v2.
In 1986, the company held an IPO, and a year later it entered the list of the largest database vendors. In those years, Oracle already provided its products to more than 4,500 customers in 55 countries, and its total sales exceeded $ 100 million. In 1989, the company appeared in the S&P 500 index, and its headquarters moved to Redwood Shores, California.
- Automate the work with leads from the Facebook advertising account
- Empower with integrations and instant transfer of leads
- Don't spend money on developers or integrators
- Save time by automating routine tasks
Since 1995, Oracle has been promoting its products through the Internet and gradually connects all of its products to the "Internet strategy" by releasing their browser versions. Its database management system Oracle Database was recognized as one of the most important products of the 90s. In 2000, the corporation successfully survives the dot-com collapse and develops the first integrated suite of business applications called Oracle E-Business Suite 11i.
In 2005, Oracle begins to acquire competing companies, starting with PeopleSoft and Siebel Systems, which were considered one of the largest manufacturers of CRM and ERP systems in those years. During its existence, the corporation has acquired several dozen companies, spending more than $100 million on this.
In 2007, Oracle celebrates its 30th anniversary, at that time the company employed more than 65,000 employees, and more than 275,000 customers from 145 countries brought it 18 billion dollars in revenue. A year later, it is a leader in the application server and middleware market.
In 2010, the corporation absorbs one of the world's largest manufacturers of servers and workstations - Sun Microsystems. After that, its product line was replenished with an extensive list of server hardware and hardware and software systems. In 2013, Oracle launched its own public cloud, within which it provided users with business applications on the PaaS and SaaS models.
In 2016, Oracle launches a global startup support program, and in 2018, it develops the world's first Oracle Autonomous Database with self-configuration, management, and patching capabilities. In recent years, Oracle software and hardware has been actively used in the fields of science and medicine: CERN space research, models for the treatment of heart disease, as well as in the study of the coronavirus COVID-19.
A key figure at Oracle for many decades has been Larry Ellison - he was one of the co-founders of the company, as well as chairman of the board of directors, CEO from 1976 to 2014 and CTO (since 2014). He owns a 25% stake in Oracle.
In 2014, the company was headed by two CEOs - Safra Katz and Mark Hurd. They share a number of responsibilities: Heard is responsible for sales and customer service, as well as vertical integration of products. Katz oversees the legal, finance and operations departments. Ellison, however, remained at the head of the board of directors, and also coordinates the development of hardware and software.
- The first version of the database management system released by this corporation was called Oracle v2. This was done in order to give the product more weight in the eyes of potential buyers without showing that this is its first version.
- Larry Ellison got the idea for relational databases from an article by Ted Codd, then at IBM. IBM management did not see the prospects for the development of such DBMS, and Ellison decided to take advantage of this idea and created a successful IT giant based on it.
- The first DBMS from Oracle began to be used in the USSR back in 1984, but they were brought there illegally, since the US government considered the corporation's products to be strategic and prohibited their legal supplies to the countries of the Soviet bloc.
- Larry Ellison was a friend of Steve Jobs, and it was he who helped Jobs return to Apple after leaving. Ellison owned a large stake in Apple, which allowed him to influence the company's board of directors to fire then-CEO Gil Amelio and return Jobs to this position.
Do you want to take your business to the next level, achieve your goals faster and more efficiently? SaveMyLeads is your reliable assistant for these tasks. An online service and application connector will help you automate key business processes and get rid of the routine. You and your employees will free up time for important core tasks. Try SaveMyLeads features for free to see the effectiveness of the online connector for yourself.